Thursday, May 8, 2014

Shannon Earnest: Best Final Assignment Ever


It is important in architectural situations such as theaters or concert halls to consider the repercussions of the activities occurring in the spaces. These panels would be placed on the walls of the theaters to trap and absorb the sound of the films playing in the rooms. They are designed in a two-part system so that a pocket of space is created between the curved tile and the wall on which they are placed. By creating this pocket of air, sound can enter the pocket and reverberate around inside of that space and be absorbed rather than bouncing off of the wall and back into the theater or other adjacent spaces.



Like a few other people, I got home and realized that Rhino conveniently wouldn't load the grasshopper plug in. However, from my experience with SONIC in the past assignments and SONIC testing that I did with my first design, I can make an educated assumption as to how the sound waves would interact with my tile surface. I believe that the sound would hit the tiles and some of it would be reflected because of the convex curved surface and the rest of the sound would hit the wall and be redirected into the pocket space that I was talking about before. To minimize the reflection of sound on the curved surfaces, I would make these tiles out of a dense foam material and then cover them in fabric. From my research, it seems that this is one of the best and most common construction methods for making acoustic paneling that absorbs sound. 



The acoustic tiles would be attached to a concrete wall using a method similar to anchor bots in which the bolt or screw is cast into the concrete and the tiles have a void for the screw to fit into and are then hooked onto the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment