Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Best Final Assignment Ever - Charmaine Y



So I apparently didn't realize that I did not have the grasshopper plugin on my Mac Rhino until after I left Pittsburgh for the other side of the world, spent a long time figuring out how to access a PC or get grasshopper on my mac but it just was not working out, so I could not complete the sonic aspect (sorry :/).  I created a modular tile with an asymmetrical geometry and I envisioned that the sound rays would bounce of the longer side of the 'bumps' on the tile, giving the sound rays a certain directionality.  When aggregated, these tiles can change in direction so that sound can be reflected on both sides of the theater.  This tile will be incorporated on both sides of the theater walls where I had designed walls that were not perpendicular to both be used for acoustic purposes but also to direct people down or up the corridors in the theaters because of the directionality it can provide.


I also imagined that these modules can change in size and scale vertically to create more dynamic aesthetics when aggregated but also enhance the directionality.


The thickness of the theater walls were designed to give the feeling of being closed off within the theaters and I initially imagined these to be poured in place concrete walls and the tiles can be incorporated into this by including the mold for the acoustic panels when setting the concrete for walls.




No comments:

Post a Comment