Monday, February 10, 2014

William Aldrich: Looking Out Week 5

Wooden Cityscapes: James McNabb

The projects you see below are made completely from scrap wood. That's right, you could make one of these for free using all those little wooden pieces tossed out into the architecture shop's scrap bin, and of course a little patience. James McNabb of Philadelphia carved each piece of wood into a beautiful, model sky-scraper. He uses these pieces to create fine works which allow us to view the idea of the city in many different ways. His City Table is the city turned upside-down: the experience one may get when coming to the city from a much slower, smaller place (this was me before I came to Pittsburgh). The City Wheel was inspired by a wagon wheel; representing the journey from the country to the city in pursuit of fortune (I actually came here to spend all the money I didn't have on my education). And his City Sphere is a representation of the Earth consumed by the city (what all the country folk are afraid of, me included).

http://udomag.com/site/amazing-wooden-cityscapes-james-mcnabb/








No comments:

Post a Comment